Home » Airport Info » Visa and Entry Requirements for Mallorca

Visa- and Entry- Requirements for Mallorca

The island of Mallorca belongs to Spain. It is, therefore, part of the European Union and the Schengen agreement. The visa and entry requirements for visitors to Mallorca depend on nationality and intended length of stay.

Passport- and Visa- Requirements for Non-EU / Non-Schengen Nationals

Non-EU nationals from a number of different countries, including the UK, the US and Canada, amongst others, do not currently need a visa to visit Mallorca for a short stay. However, it is important that your passport fulfils the criteria as specified below. A new scheme called ETIAS is due to be introduced in 2025, which will require non-EU nationals to obtain a visa-waiver prior to visiting Mallorca (please see below).

Passport validity

The following passport entry requirements apply to all nationals from non-EU / non-Schengen countries. Your passport needs to fulfil two criteria:

  • Valid for 3 months or more after the day you leave Mallorca/Spain. Please check the expiry date of your passport.
  • Less than 10 years old when you travel to Mallorca/Spain. This is calculated from the date of issue.

These entry requirements are based on the information provided by the European Union. However, some airlines are currently requesting passport validity of 6 months or more at the time of travel, so please double-check your airline’s requirements.

It is important that you check the validity of your passport in good time before you travel, to give you sufficient time to apply for a renewal, should this be necessary.

Visa requirements

Different visa rules apply, depending on your nationality and intended length of stay.

Visa exemptions for tourists on short stays

Nationals of over sixty countries do not require a visa for shorter trips and holidays, including

  • The United Kingdom
  • The United States
  • Canada
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • and many others

Please see the European Union website for a full list of countries whose nationals are exempt from the visa requirement.

For the above nationals, the following rules apply for travel to Mallorca:

  • You can stay visa-free for up to 90 days in any 180-day period.
  • However, if you are also visiting other EU countries, you will need to check that you do not spend more than 90 days in total across all the countries you visit, in any given 180-day period.
  • Different rules apply for longer stays and for anyone seeking employment in Mallorca.

Longer stays or non-visa exempt countries

A visa for travel to Mallorca is required if

  • You are planning to stay longer than the time period detailed above.
  • You are a national of another non-Schengen / non-EU country that is not listed in the above link.

If you do require a visa, you will need to apply for this at the Spanish embassy in your country of residence prior to travelling to Mallorca.

Find out more about the Mallorca Nomad Visa.

Additional requirements / documentation for all Non-EU / Non-Schengen nationals

If you are visiting Mallorca as a tourist from a non-EU / non-Schengen country, you will need to meet the following additional requirements:

  • Be in possession of a return ticket or ticket for onward travel
  • Have a proof of address for your stay in Mallorca
  • Have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Mallorca. Currently, this equals an amount of € 100 per day.

In practical terms, these requirements may not be routinely checked at the border control when you arrive in Mallorca.

New procedures to be introduced

There are changes on the horizon, with new procedures being introduced for nationals from non-EU/non-Schengen countries. Please note, that these are not yet operational.

ETIAS – Visa Waiver

Nationals from visa-exempt non-Schengen / non-EU countries will soon be required to apply for travel authorisation ahead of their journey to Mallorca. This new scheme is a visa-waiver rather than an actual visa. It is called ETIAS, which stands for European Travel Information and Authorization System. A valid ETIAS-authorisation will enable the person to visit Spain (and/or other European countries) as a tourist for short stays (please see above for the definition of a short stay).

An ETIAS travel authorisation can be obtained via the official website for a fee of € 7 and will be valid for 3 years. When applying, you will need to provide some personal information, e.g. your name, address, passport details and current occupation. You will also be asked questions about criminal convictions, past travel to conflict zones, and you will need to outline your travel plans during your stay in Europe.

ETIAS was initially intended to be launched in May 2023 but has already been postponed several times. The most recent information announces that the scheme is now due to start in mid-2025.

Please see our ETIAS page for more information.

EES – Entry/Exit System

The EES or Entry/Exit system is an IT system that will be used at passport control for passengers from non-EU, non-Schengen (third) countries. Its purpose is to speed up the process and increase the accuracy of the checks being carried out. The new system will automate procedures at border control and replace passport stamping. It will record the time and place of each person’s entry into the country and store their facial image and fingerprints. As with ETIAS, the EES is likely to become operational in 2025.

Please see our EES page for more information.

Passport- and Visa- Requirements for Non-Schengen EU Nationals

Nationals from non-Schengen EU countries require a valid passport or National Identity Card to travel to Mallorca. A visa is not required.

This currently applies to the following countries:

  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Ireland
  • Romania

Please note

From the end of March 2024, Romania and Bulgaria will join Europe’s Schengen border-free zone for air travel. This means that there will be no more inspections for travellers arriving at Palma Airport from Bulgaria and Romania from 31/3/2024.

Passport- and Visa- Requirements for Nationals from Schengen Countries

For travel within the Schengen area you are not usually required to show a passport or national identity card for travel. However, you will still need to bring one of these documents with you, as foreigners who are on Spanish territory are obligated to carry valid proof of identity with them. A visa is not required.

This currently applies to the following countries:

Czech Republic

Lost or Stolen Passport

Should your passport get lost or stolen during your stay in Mallorca, you will need to get in touch with your embassy or consulate.

British Consulate Palma de Mallorca

Carrer Convent dels Caputxins, 4
Edificio Orisba B 4ºD
07002 Palma de Mallorca
Telephone +34 91 714 6300

Public access to the British Consulate is by appointment only.

U.S. Consular Agency Palma de Mallorca

Edificio Reina Constanza
Porto Pi, 8, 9-D
07015 Palma, Islas Baleares, Spain
Telephone: (34) 97-140-3707
Fax: (34) 97-140-3971
E-mail: [email protected]

Irish Honorary Consulate Mallorca

Pedro Pablo Marrero Fuster
Honorary Consul of Ireland
C/San Miguel, 68 A-7°/8°
07002 Palma de Mallorca

Phone: +34 971 719244
Fax: +34 971 718229
E-mail: [email protected]
Out of hours emergency assistance: +34914364093


From just


per day

Cheap Mallorca Car Rental

  • Compare every car hire company at PMI
  • Great prices guaranteed
  • 100% secure online payment
  • Free cancellation
  • Inclusive no-excess deals